Well, if you’ve been sniffing around the internet for proper tools worthy of you, you’ve probably come across Leatherman multitools several times. That’s for good reason. I’d like to introduce you to the best one of all. It’s the Leatherman Wave.
Leatherman’s precision manufacturing process is world class. Consequently, as far as multitools go, the Leatherman brand leads the way in quality. That is indisputable. All their tools are made in Portland, Oregon USA.
Leatherman is a company that’s clearly obsessed with quality. You don’t even have to see a Leatherman to know that. Just hold one in your hands. Its substantial and precisely built. You’ll notice right way how each implement slides out smoothly and locks snugly in place without any play at all.
When a Leatherman is brought into competitors’ board-rooms for scrutiny, all the engineers break out in cold sweats and start whining about needing a diaper change. Poor guys, it really is not fair at all. They don’t even have a chance to compete!
The Leatherman WAVE
The Leatherman WAVE was born from good stock. It’s saturated with quality. I’ve owned two. I lost my first one during a house move. I mourned and blubbered about it for 6 months. My wife got sick of listening to me a got a new one for my birthday. Strapping that Leatherman back on my belt every morning has a peculiar way of boosting my confidence. Strange but true. I’m sure I’m not the only one.
While a few models like the SURGE come with more tools than the Wave they’re bigger and heavier. I think the WAVE strikes the right balance between size, weight and usefulness. It’s Leatherman’s best selling model and with very good reason. The best multitool brand in the world is Leatherman, and the WAVE is the best Leatherman. This thing has been tested and found true countless tradesmen and hardworking people.
Each of the 17 tools slide open and lock individually for extra safety :
- Needlenose pliers
- Regular pliers
- Hard-wire cutters
- Wire cutters
- Wire stripper
- 420 High carbon knife(3 inch)
- 420 High carbon serrated knife
- Spring action scissors
- Ruler (8inch/19cm)
- Can opener
- Bottle opener
- Wood/metal file
- Diamond coated file
- Large driver(flat head)
- Small bit driver(interchangeable jewellers phillips head and flat head)
- Medium bit driver(interchangeable bits)
You can fold the Leatherman WAVE away into a nice tight 4 inches. It only weighs 8.5 oz(241g) and finds it’s home in the included leather belt holster. Optionally, buyers can get a nylon holster, but I prefer the leather. Let the leather age and get scuffed up a bit and it’ll give you some street-cred.
Leatherman’s warrantee is awesome; 25 years and they don’t haggle. So, if your Leatherman ever gives you trouble(barring obvious abuse) they’ll repair or replace it with an equal or more expensive model. I know of guys who bring their multitools in to Leatherman at trade shows and they service them, tighten them up and replace blades right on the spot. Awesome customer service.
What makes it great
- It’s insanely versatile. This tool makes you a more useful man. You really can solve so many day to to day dilemmas with it. Poor Batman, he feels so self-conscious wearing his stupid suit and utility belt. He should have just gotten a Leatherman. Frankly, I like being an every day hero with this thing.
- Your daily efficiency will increase. A twenty minute job routinely is reduced to two minutes because the solution is literally on your belt. “Where are the scissors? Do you have a knife? Does anyone have a phillips screw driver? Darn it! I need a nail file.” See what I mean? For example, the other day the wheel on my fridge cart broke just as I was about to use it. Since I had two new spares I decided to replace both. Enter: the Leatherman Wave. I had pulled the cotter pins, removed the old wheels, slammed on the new tires and was back to work. It took me four minutes. These are the situations that makes this tool shine on a daily basis
- It evokes confidence. The WAVE’s sturdy quality is like a reliable friend who’s always there to help you in a pinch. Having a toolbox on your belt is the same as being wrapped in a warm, comforting man-blanket. You can relax, you’ve got it handled. Plenty of Apocolypse preppers consider the WAVE an must EDC(Every Day Carry.) Since, these people are super-fanatics about finding the right tools they’re actually on to something here. Hey, it ain’t the end of the world, but if it were I think you’d do alright with this thing on your belt. I highly recommend it.
My Quibbles with the Leatherman Wave
- The Wave does not have replaceable wire cutter blades like its bigger brother the SURGE. So if you’re an electrician I’d go with the SURGE. Typically this is a higher wear area of any pair of pliers. I’m prepared to live with it since Leatherman does guarantee to repair or replace the whole unit.
- The Wave does not have a spring mechanism that opens the plier jaws automatically. Its a fatigue relieving feature that can be found in other multitools.
The Leatherman WAVE really is a darn good piece of gear! Some of you came here riding the fence about buying this tool. Listen, you’re making a rock solid decision. I’m behind your choice 100% and so are thousands of other discerning men.
Price Check: Leatherman WAVE on Amazon