Here’s your guide to the most precise tweezers on earth and how to use them.
Traditional slant tweezers can pluck eyebrows and what not, but the tweezers we’ll look at today put them to shame. The most precise tweezers available are called “point tweezers.”
Overview of this Guide
- What are point tweezers?
- What are their advantages/disadvantages?
- How to use point tweezers
- What to Look for in a Good Pair
- The Top 2 point Tweezers:
What are Point Tweezers?
Well, as a guy, I describe them as, “super tiny needle-nose pliers… Like, really tiny ones.” Engineered to an extra fine point, they enable extreme accuracy for precision tasks like extracting glass splinters, hidden hangnails and ingrown hairs.
The professional world uses them all the time, but consumers haven’t really caught on to them yet. In fact, one of my recommendations from a company called Regine-Switzerland, provides surgical point tweezers to the healthcare sector and to the Swiss watchmaking industry.
Advantages/Disadvantages of Point Tweezers
- Reduction in “collateral damage.” Wider tweezers
cause unnecessary pain and irritation by grabbing more than you intend. Instead of that one ingrown hair, you wind up digging and ripping out 5 others with it. Or instead of grabbing just the splinter you also take a piece of skin with it.
- Less slippage. The keen edges and finely tuned symmetrical jaws mean that the tip of that splinter is much easier to get a hold of and quickly remove. Less precise tweezers tend to “grip and slip” on the end of splinters. Man, I hate that sensation! Its like being stabbed over and over again by the same splinter.
- Less intrusive- If you absolutely must go sub-cutanious to dig out your splinter, at least you don’t have to open your skin very much.
- Excellent black head remover- Though not exactly intended for this purpose, point tweezers are pretty good at it by pressing the tips on either side of the pore.
- Don’t impede view- wider tweezers tend to obstruct my view as I go for the grab. Sometimes we have to take a close look than put the tweezer down and pinch hoping it grabs the splinter sight unseen. That’s not an issue with point tweezers.
- Can be dulled easily by neglect or accidentally dropping. Keep those points protected by keeping the guard on them when not in use.
- Not for bulk hair removal. Don’t expect to mow the lawn with a pair of scissors. There’s a place for a good pair of slant tweezers and there’s a place for high precision point tweezers.
- They’re sharp- so be careful! Work carefully and steadily with these point tweezers. Got shaky hands? Well, maybe they’re not a good choice. Again, store them with the tip cover on so you don’t stab yourself when you reach into your kit.
How to Use Point Tweezers
Most people hold tweezers the wrong way. It leads to inaccuracy, muscle fatigue and soreness. Here’s a quick tutorial on proper technique.
What to Look for in the Most Precise Tweezers
Quality point tweezers are made of high grade stainless steel. You’ll need to look very, very closely when evaluating a good set of point tweezers.
- Lifetime warranty. I strictly recommend “buy it for life” products here at wellrigged.com. So, whenever possible, I insist on lifetime warrantees. Companies that offer lifetime warranties actually care about high quality.
- Observe the finish. Are the tweezers well polished, and smooth? Or are the edges rough as if it was punched out of a piece of sheetmetal? You’ll be able to tell more by feel than sight in this regard.
- Look at the tip in profile. Insure that the business end touches perfectly without even the slightest over bite/underbite.
- Look at tip head on. Check the alignment by firmly closing the tweezers. Are the tips offset, or do the tips slip past each other? If any of the two conditions above exist, the instrument will pinch, pull or slip. That’s not cool when trying to extract a glass shard from your finger!
Top 2 Point Tweezers
I often describe WellRigged.com as “where quality and durability hang out.” I only recommend lifetime products (yes even tweezers). Quality usually costs a bit more. However, you in turn get paid in peace of mind, durability and user satisfaction. Below are the most durable, and most precise tweezers available.#
Tweezerman is a well known brand that’s been around for 30 years. While I still consider Tweezerman a “lifetime brand,” they have slipped a bit lately after outsourcing their tweezers from Italy to India. For a company that’s staked their entire brand name around tweezers and legendary quality. Its a risky move .
Tweezerman, offers a full lifetime warrantee and still produce darn good products. For example, Tweezerman’s nail clippers are among best.
The main perk with Tweezerman is that they offer complimentary lifetime sharpening of all their tweezers. That’s good to know since point tweezers are particularly prone to dulling.
Model: Point Tweezers
Sharp but not lancet sharp, these tweezers are exact enough for precision work without stabbying yourself by accident. The tip is three dimensionally ground from a thicker stem for a more robust point.
Here are a few pics.
The hard enamel coating offers a bit more grip than naked steel, but this means you’ll be limited in sterilization options. The enamel coating itself is very well applied and consistent. Even the crease in the joint of the tweezer is perfectly coated. I do wondered how well the enamel will stand up there since there is so much flexing at that joint.
Tweezerman’s Point Tweezers are among the very best, and of the best, there are none that offer free sharpening along with a lifetime warranty. You get what you pay for I suppose. They’re around 20 bucks. You can check the current Amazon pricing here.
Ah Switzerland! Home to the finest watchmakers and jewellers on earth(chocolate too!) It was the demands of their high precision industries that necessitated the finest tweezers on earth. Regine-Switzerland makes the finest. I’m serious. They’re in a category all their own.
Regine produces products for more than just watches and jewelry. They are into surgical, bio-genetics, micro-electronics, and space technology. So no, their not just interested in plucking your eyebrows.
I was stunned to find out that Regine offers an Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee if you buy them through their their US distributor: World’s Best Tweezers. They even cover accidental damage. Sweet! The Guarrantee reads in part:
“If, at any time, your tweezers no longer perform as originally intended due to wear, workmanship, or even accidental damage, we will gladly repair or replace them it at no charge.” -Worlds Best Tweezers
Tweezerman’s are to Regine-Switzerland what Toyota is to Lexus.(again that’s a guy’s explanation) Both excellent quality, but given the choice I’d go with the Lexus all day long. I recommend Regine’s whole line, but for our purposes the Mini-Splinter is perfect.
Regine was kind enough to send me a couple samples from through their website. to review for all of my quality conscious readers. I was not disappointed. Actually, when I had gotten the Tweezerman’s I was impressed, but when I got the Regine’s I realized a whole new level of quality of precision I didn’t know existed.
You don’t need to argue about which is better. Just lay one beside the other and its obvious. See photo below.
What do the Mini-Splinters bring to the table?
- Surgical acid resistant stainless steel
- Fully sterilization ability
- Extremely fine tip
- Soft action which equals less fatigue
- Unparalleled quality control process
- Unconditional Lifetime guarantee
Essentially, these are a surgical instrument made available to consumers. Removing things from your body is a form of minor surgery. DIY surgery if you will.
Drop the tweezers in some boiling water and sterilize them before digging for that splinter. Its an added protection from infections.
Ultimately, the big selling point in the Mini-Splinter is its unparalleled precision and unconditional replacement warrantee. Every individual tweezer is manually verified by Regine under a microscope for absolute perfection.
And while you might think drug store brand tweezers are precise, they will never even compete with in terms of precision, longevity or factory warrantee. You can check the latest Mini-Splinter pricing here.
Other Exceptional Options
Regine’s line up really is superb and they definitely meet my “buy it for life” standards here at wellrigged.com I also recommend Regine’s slant tweezers, designed for eyebrow and hair removal. They’re extemely accurate, well made and come with the same lifetime warrantee. Check current price on Amazon.
Tweezerman’s better than most with it’s lifetime warrantee, beefy build and free sharpening service. But there’s no question in my mind that Regine “out-tweezes” Tweezerman in precision and overall quality. Combined with Regine’s unconditional lifetime warrantee, no one will have buyers remorse with Regine. Regin is a true “buy it for life” company and I like to support companies that go the extra mile even if they could sell more by compromising quality. I’d encourage you to do the same.
So, there you have them. The most precise tweezers that you’ll ever find. They’ll serve you a lifetime. In fact I’m oddly excited for my next splinter! Who knew?
You may also be interested one of the world’s best nail clippers: The Seki Edge Nail clippers.