What is Buy it For Life?
Sick of junky products and disposable landfill fodder? Good, so am I. They are bad for your wallet, bad for the environment and even bad for your health.
The concept of Buy It For Life focuses on buying products long lasting products you only need to buy once in a lifetime.
Is it possible to buy a product once in a lifetime and never need to replace it? Absolutely. I research and recommend the longest lasting products available today.
Advantages of the Buy It For Life Strategy
For this I turned to the ruthlessly independent gurus over on the Subreddit:BuyItForLife which I am a part of. They had some great responses:
- The ownership experience: “I like to do the extra research finding and spending the extra money getting exactly what I want to use forever. It’s much more satisfying than thoughtlessly buying junk and throwing it away when it breaks.” -forgotmypasswordsad
- Re-trains your mindset: “I think the biggest hidden benefit is that it retrains your mindset. It doesn’t exactly quash consumerism, but it shifts your focus from buying the latest and greatest widget for the moment to shopping with a keener eye on the function for the long-term.”- IceCreamforLunch
- Reliability in uncertain times: I don’t have stable income, but I have a decent amount of income when I do. When I lose work, not a lot of things break on me. It’s getting to the point where it feels weird when something breaks. I have a lot of pretty reliable stuff…It’s actually very reassuring. I have confidence that most of my stuff will not break when I don’t have an income...”-fuzzynyanko
- Solves excess waste in landfills
- Rewards businesses with uncompromising standards
- Often keeps jobs at home instead of outsourcing
- Better cost over time: Perfect example, my wife was using the magic bullet for her morning shakes. They would die about every 4-6 months and cost about $40. So I bought a BlendTec $250 and 4 years out, not only have we saved not constantly buying new bullets, but the BlendTec does the job in half the time and does a better job fully blending all the bits especially the hemp seeds she uses -Rggoalie3
- Better experience over the products life: I bought my Malouf Z pillows in 2012. Paid $80 per pillow. My wife thought I was nuts and said we were going to return them. She slept on one and I never heard a peep about returning them again. – Rggoalie3
- Reselection cost: “I don’t want to have to research and select products every X years.” -externality
Why should you even trust my opinion?
You shouldn’t. The internet is full of opinions. What I’m giving you is my painstaking research. Hopefully it will save you some time in your own research. I think, in the end, you’ll find I wasn’t far off after at all on my recommendations.
I’m one of those people that obsessively research products..and I happen to focus on products of enduring quality. You can find out more about why quality is so important to me by reading my story.
So, as you browse around this site some products and brands will be familiar and others not so much, but all of them represent class-leading durability. They are safe, reliable purchases with very high customer satisfaction ratings.
I stay away from the “latest and greatest” and only recommend time tested products with solid track records. I want to be able to confidently recommend top-tier products.
Super durable products are still being produced by many quality-conscious companies.
However, mainstream consumers are largely unaware of it because of overheated marketing and ads have muddied the waters.
For example: Dyson vacuums. They’ve been able to convince a lot of people (through aggressive ad campaigns) that they are a top end durable brand. That’s simply not true.
Dyson is a classic case of marketing hype. Don’t drink that cool aid. If you really want buy it for life quality, Miele Vacuums spank Dyson’s plasticky butt right out the door.
What I Recommend
I don’t push expensive luxury products. I recommend the best quality products. Obviously, expensive products aren’t necessarily “buy it for life” material. However, the things I recommend here are often more costly than the run-of-the-mill crap at Wally World.
Yes, buying durable quality usually costs a bit more.
Most of my recommendations come with at least a lifetime warrantee from companies with well proven track records.
For Instance, the ESEE 6 Survival Knife is an indestructible beast, and if you do destroy it(even on purpose) ESEE will replace it! (Check out the Review for more)
Quality is King…most of the time
Obviously if you’ve landed here, you probably have a taste for quality and know how to research products. I don’t think you are here because you want to shave a penny.
That’s because wisdom and foresight understands that durability and quality trumps mediocrity all day long.
That’s a lesson, the global market seems to have forgotten lately.
I say “quality is king..most of the time” because there are caveats and exceptions where we should compromise…unless your a gazzilionaire. It’s often wise to compromise quality in one place in order to gain it in a more strategic area of your life.
I encourage this balance especially in the realm of consumables. For instance: You don’t need pure silk toilet paper, and choice cut steaks. That’s just being diva! Save the money and put it toward something with longer term benefits.
“Buy it For Life” Saves the Hastle
Time is a precious commodity, and the stress of endless internet research and sifting is pretty daunting.
So, no more drinking from the firehose of toilet paper quality products. (Perhaps you sense my frustration?)
Whatever products you see recommended on this site have been heavily researched and scrutinized. There may be other products out there in the same category that are worthy, but for simplicities sake I often sift them all down to one.
I’m a minimalist. I’m not a rich man. I only buy what I need and I don’t want more. I research well, target shop and I find their’s wisdom in it. I also save a lot of money doing so.
I don’t advise going out and getting every buy if for life product I recommend here. Be wise and methodical. Upgrade the most critical/high use items that disappoint you the most. The goal is to streamline your life, reduce stress and economize over the long run.
Get Rigged up
We’re all like sailors who are secured and made ready for the high-seas of life. Being well rigged is just plain smart. So tighten up your rigging. Get strategic. Be targeted in your purchases so that you’ll be well equipped.
So, Browse around. I’m constantly adding more resources. I hope I can help you make smart quality conscious decisions.
Disclosure: I am not sponsored by any manufacturer. I am not brand loyal nor do I advertise for any brand. I do however support this site with affiliate links to true BIFL products. I’ll only recommend the best buy it for life product even if don’t get dime for it.